Turtle Sea Scooter Safari
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Avaavaroa Passsage Vaimaanga Rarotonga
- Product code: Turtle
Experience swimming with two of the four Sea Turtles species native to the Cook Islands. We take you into their natural marine environment, close enough to touch but our sustainable tourism policies mean we only allow touching with your eyes. Their home is not just home to Sea Turtles, we may encounter Eagle Rays, Moray Eels, Trevally, and the hundreds of species of tropical fish. You'll learn about our coral reefs, the habitat and what we are doing to protect this resource for future generations. As the Eco-Adventure Tourism Award Winner in 2020, you can trust that our tours are eco-friendly and that your safety is our number one priority. Every client gets to use our unique eco-friendly sea scooters to pull you through the water and assist you during your tour.
Conservation & Credibility
· We are the only tour operator who sponsor "Te Ara O Te Onu" The Cook Islands Sea Turtle Conservation Society. Five percent of your tour fee goes to the Society. Thank you!!
· Air New Zealand Eco-Tourism Awards Winners 2020
· Air New Zealand Outstanding Kia Orana Spirit Awards Winner 2020
Your first encounter with a Sea Turtle in the wild is one of the most amazing experiences you can have. We say the experience is "Surprise, Amazement, Love" when you see your first turtle in their habitat. You will be amazed at how graceful and peaceful the turtles are and will fall in love with them - which hopefully sets you on a path of education and conservation with us. We have had occasions where the turtles swim with us for long periods, it can be a truly humbling experience. Another amazing experience is seeing up to thirty eagle rays swimming below us. They are perfectly safe and it is breathtaking to watch these majestic creatures. Riding our eco-friendly sea scooters is also a lot of fun and they are also a safety tool unique to Ariki Adventures.
What To Expect
Meet our guides onsite at the Avaavaroa Passage, 30 minutes prior to the start of your tour. Please do not come to the Tour Desk.
The 90 minute adventure starts with a quick safety brief, then we fit you with mask, snorkel and fins and you'll complete your Sea Scooter Operators course. Then we launch into the water off the beach and inside the lagoon. As you drift out with the current our professional Guides are pointing out marine and environmental points of interest along the way. It's simply amazing.
Your first turtle encounter can be simply magical. Listen to our Guides as they teach you how to share their underwater world and minimize disruption to them and the environment. Keep a sharp lookout because you'll probably swim over more than you can see.
You are welcome to take your own underwater cameras and we post a few images on our own photo site which you can purchase and share with friends.
If you enjoyed our Turtle Safari, check out our other sea scooter safaris including the Shipwreck, Ocean Drift and Lagoon Discovery Safaris.
After the Safari, come on back to the Flying Turtle Cafe where you'll enjoy a 10% discount off all food and beverages not already on special.
· Guides required to regularly wash hands
· Gear/equipment sanitized between use
· Hand sanitizer available to travellers and staff
· Practical social distancing enforced throughout experience
Departure Point: Avaavaroa Passage, Vaimaanga, Rarotonga, Cook Islands unless otherwise stated.
Duration: Allow 2.5 hours
Return Point : Departure Point
Safari's Monday - Friday only: In order to lesson our impact on their marine environment, we only run the safari's on weekdays.
Cancellations or Postponement on the day: The passage where the turtles are is subject to rough conditions from time to time. The weather, tide, swell and wind conditions on any given day may mean we cancel or postpone your tour for safety reasons. We will do our best to reschedule, you can choose another sea scooter safari or we will refund if this happens.
· Individual Sea Scooter
· Safety gear, including life jackets, rescue tubes, rescue paddleboards.
· The best Adventure Guides in the Cook Islands
· Mask & snorkel. Note: Due to COVID 19, we are recommending all guests bring their own mask and snorkel however we will provide if you don't have your own.
· Fins or flippers
· Shorty wetsuits
· Travel to/from Departure Point
- Guests must be able to swim comfortably in the sea
- Guest must be comfortable in deep water.
- Not recommended for pregnant guests.
- Minimum age is 7 years old but subject to Crew Chief approval.
- Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Availability: This tour is for small groups of no more than 10 people. We will do our best to book you on your preferred date and time but due to other bookings this may not be available. If your preferred time is not available we will contact you to offer an alternative date and time.
- People with medical conditions should declare them to us at the time of booking so we can consider their situation. It won't necessarily preclude them but we may have to insist on safety measures.
- Guests with disabilities. We have experience in taking out guests with disabilities. Please ask so we can consider the situation and if we can make it happen safely then we will. Please ask.
· Cancellations within 48 hours are not subject to refund unless COVID 19 related or a serious medical condition. Being hungover is not considered a serious medical condition.· Within 24 Hours - 100% Charge
· Within 24-48 Hours - 50% Charge
· Outside of 48 Hours - No Charge
· No Show - 100% Charge
· Cancellations Due to Rough Sea Conditions/Weather - Option to Rebook Another Day or Full Refund